Saturday, November 10, 2012

Picture Post

So I had a baby....
and he's adorable and beautiful and perfect in every way.

He was a total surprise

Or he almost was....obviously we knew he was coming, we just didn't think it would happen so soon.
There I was, sleeping peacefully (for the last time) when all the sudden at 2 am Thursday Morning my water broke.

To be honest, I thought I had just lost total and complete control over my bladder.
But by the time I ran to the bathroom for the third time, it dawned on me that this probably isn't normal.
and when I smelled my underwear (I know, totally gross, right?) and it didn't smell like ammonia, I knew IT was imminent. 
(And by it, I mean delivery, not the baby)

I crawled back into bed half an hour and multiple trips to the bathroom later, and  leaned over Henry (who somehow managed to sleep through all my jumping up and down) and tried to gently tell him that I thought it was time to go to the hospital; to which he replied: 
"It's not time! It can't be time!"

Sure enough-it was time. 
I noticed very slight cramps shortly after I got up to the bathroom the first time, and they gradually got more and more intense. We waited it out for a little bit just to be sure it was the real thing, and sure enough they got more and more uncomfortable and closer and closer together. Around three thirty I ended up ringing the on-call doctor at my OBGYN's office who told me it might be a good idea to get all our things together and head to the hospital sooner rather than later. 

Henry came to the rescue at this point. I had actually planned on packing our hospital bags that day--so we didn't have anything ready. Curiously, the night before I had given Henry a very detailed idea of what I thought we should bring, and better yet--he paid super close attention. So while I was in the bathroom trying to stem the flow of amniotic fluid, he packed everything I had mentioned I wanted with me. 

We got to the hospital around 5:30 and within five minutes I was checked into my room and had changed into an incredibly fetching hospital gown (bare butt included.) Within ten minutes the nurse checked to see if I was dilated and if so, how much. She was able to feel the baby's head about two knuckles deep. I was already five centimeters in. Two and a half  hours later I was at 7 and I got my epidural. (the BEST 86 dollars I ever spent) By 10 AM I was almost 10 cm and the nurse was calling for the Doctor. They told me I could start pushing around 11:15, and at 11:40 a little man popped out! and He is absolutely perfect in every way.

Bence was born 18.75 inches long and 5 lbs. 3 ozs. Because He came 5.5 weeks early, they took him to the NICU to run some tests right after he was born. He actually ended up spending three days there, mostly because he needed to gain weight. He had a terrible habit of falling asleep in the middle of  eating, so he actually had a feeding tube, but that didn't last long. The nurse said that when she checked on him at one point, he had his little hand wrapped around the tube and kept tugging at it. Sure enough -- he'd ripped it out a few hours later. I guess he didn't think he needed it anymore. 

After our (not) so short stay at the hospital, we're home, happy and healthy. Henry and i have long said our goodbyes to sleeping through the night (or sleeping much at all.) and we've both been amazed that something as simple and ordinary as a healthy bowel movement would fill us with so much joy and happiness. i never thought regular dirty diapers would give such relief. ;  )

We've had a lot of questions about his name. So here it is--
Bence --> Hungarian for Vincent (Henry served his mission there) and we just thought it was a cool name. It's pronounced "Ben-Seh." The "e" sound at the end is the same as the "e" sound in the middle.
Robert --> Henry's paternal grandfather who passed away this last spring
Eugene --> My Maternal Grandfather who passed away seven years ago
O'Connor --> Isn't this one self-explanatory?

Henry's family started a tradition of having two middles names for all the boys, so we stuck with that. We thought it would be a nice little memorial to both our deceased grandfathers as well. We don't want them to be forgotten! 

Bence was three weeks old this last Thursday, and he is doing really well. He has a voracious appetite, and although his weight went down twice since he was born, he now weighs a whopping 7 lbs. (as of his Doctors appointment yesterday morning!) He guzzles formula like there's not tomorrow and squawks if you take away his bottle too soon. He's also the most vocal baby I've ever known. He is constantly grunting, squeaking  grumbling or cooing--even when he's asleep. We've been calling him "goat-man" because...well...he sounds like a little goat.


























we love him and we"re so glad he's ours!

3 comments:

  1. he is such a beautiful little guy! so glad that he is here healthy and happy. congratulations! we are so glad he is in the family too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! i can't even imagine how tiny - both of mine were late and came out heavier than he is now! :)

    hello little ben! we love you!

    (this is the only time when i think it's okay to use a million exclamation marks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing journey! I can't wait to hold that sweet little man!

    Love,
    Nana!

    ReplyDelete