Friday, August 12, 2011

West Side Story

So I haven't written in...well...since my first post which was maybe...five months ago? Pretty sad, I know. Especially since I am home all day- but in my defense (amid all our frantic packing at the end of the semester) I couldn't remember where I had put my cord to upload photos from my camera to the computer. And what are regular entries to entries with pictures! I clearly never grew out of picture and pop-up books. They still hold me mesmerized.

We are finally moved in to our apartment! For the first two weeks after I unpacked everything, I knew exactly where everything was. It was quite empowering for someone who forgets entire conversations- but that feelings was short-lived. I am now back to looking in three or four places before I find what I am looking for. Oh well! Henry and I are both extremely relieved to be completely moved in. Picking an apartment on the second floor in the very corner of our building, equidistant from both stairs and elevator was taxing on both of us! I got pretty lucky actually....Since I couldn't life half the stuff we own I got out of moving it. : ) Henry and Levi..not so much.

I also have photos of our apartment as well! Hooray! We still don't have pictures up yet- but I hope to change that very soon! Henry abhors putting holes in walls that we don't own- but I promised to spackle and paint every one before we move next summer!


Our wonderful NEW bed (something we haven't yet experienced in our short married life) from the most amazing store in the world! (IKEA)

 Our wonderfully organized closet (Henry's shirts are hung according to colour- is that healthy?) and the master bath (wow.... it makes me feel all high class to say it...I'm not sure if I'm okay with that) Note the   $ 2.98 clear plastic shower curtain from wal-mart-
This would be our den/study/storage room/junk room/ I don't know where else to put this crap/ all the pictures Henry doesn't want to hang but knows he will have to eventually-

My Beautiful wonderful kitchen! I have never in my life lived in a place where the appliances are so new they have the "how-to" manual lying on the counter for you to look at. Ignore the clutter on the counter by the fridge. Why is it that we always have a junk-collecting counter in the kitchen?



I think this is my favorite room in the house. I have an incredibly comfy couch (although it took six weeks to see it after we paid for it) and a real stand for the TV! (also courtesy of IKEA- we are addicts) It's too bad that the first thing you see out of our lovely picture window is "CENTRAL BODY SHOP." It's also too bad that it is lit up ALL NIGHT LONG and that the light shows through every set of blinds. Otherwise you would be able to see the wonderful purple mountain majesties right behind it! That is one of my favorite things about living here! Especially in the winter when they are covered in snow!

Anyway...that is our new home! I am quite fond of it- although the thought of moving next June when our lease is up makes me sick to my stomach. I think we will have to hire a whole bunch of illegals to move it for us...I hope that wasn't distasteful...

I also acquired two new wonderful things this week. For Christmas Henry gave me a Ninja blender- which I was really looking forward to- before I realized how badly made ninja products are. Maybe we just got a dud- but it didn't work very well. We usually only make smoothies in it- but it just couldn't cut through the ice and frozen berries- which didn't seem like a lot to ask of it. You are supposed to be able to fill it completely with ice cubes and watch them turn to powder before your very eyes. Needless to say- that didn't happen by any stretch of imagination. Mostly it just turned ice cubes into ice cubes with the edges taken off.

Then I had the brilliant idea that I could return it to the store! I had the original box with all the plastic wrapping and little cardboard pieces to hold everything in place. So I did! I took it to target and in it's place I got these two things- which I have been needing for a while!






Alright...so maybe not as exciting as a Ferrari or a cruise to the Mediterranean- but I needed them! My old hand mixer only had one barely working set of beaters- my fingers sort of...kind of...really got caught in the other set and when I accidentally turned it with my fingers caught in them I almost broke my fingers and the beaters got kind of...bent. And on top of that they must have used the same motor in that stupid mixer that they use in high powered Yachts! The first time I used it  to make cookies I ended up covered in flour-completely dazed and confused as to how that had happened.

And for our entire marriage thus far I have had one of those table top ironing boards that is half sized...but the little legs collapsed as soon as you put any weight on it, and every-time I had to adjust the position of the clothes  the whole board moved with them. Needless to say- for the last few weeks Henry has been wearing dress pants to work that have three lines down each leg...I couldn't let him look like that forever, could I? Besides- I don't think anyone in the history of ironing got as angry as I would while making Henry's wardrobe appropriate for work- it just wasn't healthy.

I thought I got a pretty good deal...return a blender I've used for six months and get two really useful things in return? Not a bad deal...(hopefully that isn't too dishonest...I don't feel guilty at any rate-)


I suppose this is it for now. If I end up making something that (amazingly) looks and tastes delicious- I may just post it tomorrow - : )





2 comments:

  1. you are too cute!

    i know exactly what you mean about being excited about an ironing board - never thought THAT would happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what you mean with the ironing board! we've had a table top one since we got married and i have yet to remember to get a larger one. anyways cute blog! it's fun to see what you are up to!!

    ReplyDelete